1. GENERAL INFORMATION
Name: Lois (Theologos) Labrianidis
Father’s name: Panayiotis
Place of birth: Thessaloniki
Place of residence: 15, Platonos St., 54643, Thessaloniki, Greece
Telephone: University: +30 2310 891795, Home: +30 2310 816220
Specialisation: Economic Geography-Regional Development
Profession: Professor, Dept. of Economics, University of Macedonia
1978-1983 Doctor of Philosophy in Economic Geography, London School of Εconomics and Ρolitical Sciences (LSΕ) title: “Industrial location in capitalist societies: the tobacco industry in Greece, 1880-1980”
1977-1978 Μaster of Αrts in Urban and Regional Studies, University of Sussex 1972-1977 Diploma in Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Languages English, French (fair)
3. RESEARCH AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
1999-today Professor Department of Economics, University of Macedonia.
2015 – 2019 Secretary General for Strategic and private Investments, Ministry of Economy and Development (7/4/2015- 17/7/2019)
1995 - today Head of the Regional Development and Policy Research Unit (RDPRU) http://afroditi.uom.gr/rdpru/
1993-1999 Associate Professor, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia.
1989-1993 Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia.
1988-1990 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Social Anthropology, University of the Aegean.
1986-1988 Junior Lecturer, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, School of Architecture, Department of Urban and Regional Planning
1986-1987 Visiting Assistant Professor, Graduate Industrial School of Thessaloniki, Department of Economics,
1985-1986 Visiting Professor at the Technological Institute of Education (TEI) of Thessaloniki, School of Management and Economics, Department of Management.
1985-1988 Scientific Fellow at the Centre of Planning and Economic Research of Greece attached to the Prefecture of Thessaloniki.
01/1995-06/1995 Academic Visitor, Dept. of Geography, LSE
01/2004-06/2004 Academic Visitor, School of Geography, Oxford University
4. AREAS OF LIABILITY AS GENERAL SECRETARY
1. Coordination of the drafting of the Development Law (Law 4399/2016)
2. Development of a new system for evaluating and controlling investment projects and the process of setting up the Register of Auditors
3. Participation in the writing of the "National Development Strategy" (2018)
4. Amendment of Law (Law 3427/2005) on “Business Centers”
5. Amendments to the law on the granting of a visa to foreigners for the purpose of creating an investment
6. Development of the "Knowledge and Cooperation Bridges" initiative concerning the brain drain
7. Coordination of the drafting of the Law on "Strategic Investments" (Law 4608/2019)
8. Development of the Initiative "for the Support of SMEs" cooperation with: National Documentation Center, Central Chamber of Commerce, GESEVE, ESEE (Law 4608/2019)
9. Development of an initiative to support enterprises in Less Developed Areas (Law 4608/2019)
10. 2017 - 2019 Participation in the cooperation Committee between the Ministry of Economy & Development and the Banks
11. 2017 Member of the Committee on Experts on the Economics of Education, Ministry of Education (Government Gazette 173 12/4/17)
12. 2017 Member of the Commission on the "evolution of the TEI of Athens and Piraeus". Ministerial decision (20/6/17)
13. 2017 -2019 Member of the Board of Directors of Entrepreneurship II (TEPICH II)
14. 2016 - 2019 Member of the Board of Directors of ETVA - Piraeus Industrial Area
15. 2016 -2019 Development Council, Ministry of Economy and Development: Member of the Scientific Committee, Chair of the Social Partners Group.
- 2016. Kalogeressis and Labrianidis L. Spatial Development and Human Capital, Kritiki, Athens
- 2011. Labrianidis L. Investing in leaving: The Greek case of international migration of professionals in the globalization era. Athens: Kritiki.
- 2008. Kafkalas, G., Labrianidis, L. and N. Papamichos (Eds.) Cities on the Verge: Thessaloniki in a Process of Change. Athens: Kritiki.
- 2008. Labrianidis L. (ed.) The Moving Frontier: The Changing Geography of Production in Labour Intensive Industries, Aldershot: Ashgate.
- 2004 . Labrianidis L. (ed.). Entrepreneurship in Rural Europe: the case of Greece. Thessaloniki: Paratiritis/ Athens: Patakis.
- 2004. Labrianidis L. (ed.). The future of Europe’s Rural Peripheries: the role of entrepreneurship in responding to employment problems and social marginalisation, Aldershot: Ashgate (Economic Geography Series).
- 2002. Kafkalas G. Labrianidis L. and Papamichos N. Strategic Plan for the Sustainable Development of Greater Thessaloniki Area, Ministry of Northern Greece, Thessaloniki. Region of Central Macedonia/ Thessaloniki’s Regulating Plan Organisation, Thessaloniki.
- 2001. Labrianidis L. and Lyberaki A. Albanian immigrants in Thessaloniki: paths of prosperity and oversights of their public image, Thessaloniki: Paratiritis/ Athens: Patakis.
- (Re-issue) 2001. Labrianidis L. Economic Geography: Elements of theory and empirical examples, Athens: Patakis.
- 1993. Labrianidis L. Peripheral universities in Greece. Thessaloniki: Paratiritis.
- 1992. Labrianidis L. The spatial aspects of subcontracting relations in manufacturing production. Thessaloniki: Paratiritis.
- 1992. Labrianidis L. Elements of economic geography. Paratiritis, Thessaloniki
4b. Chapters in Books
- 2017 Pratsinakis M., Hatziprokopiou P., Grammatikas D. and Labrianidis L. “Crisis and the resurgence of emigration from Greece”. In B. Glorius and J. Domínguez-Mujic (eds.) European Mobility in Times of Crisis - The New Context of European South-North Migration. Bielefeld pp. 75-102
- 2017 Labrianidis L. and Pratsinakis M. Crisis brain drain: short-term pain/long-term gain? In Tziovas D. (ed) Greece in Crisis: The Cultural Politics of Austerity I.B. Tauris : London, pp. 87-106
- (2014) Labrianidis L. «Greece «kicks out” its professionals”, in Damankais M., Konstantinidis S. And Tamis Α. (eds.) New migration to and from Greece, ΠUniversity of Crete/ΚΕΜΕ, Rethimnon, pp.177-206.
- (2012) Labrianidis L., Todorov K., Agelopoulos G., Voutira E., Kolarov K., Vogiatzis N. “Cross Border Co-operation in the Bulgaria – Greece – FYR of Macedonia Triangle” in D. Smallbone, F. Welter and M. Xheneti (Eds). Cross Border Entrepreneurship and Economic Development in Europe’s Border Regions. Edward Elgar, pp. 89-113
- (2012) Labrianidis, L. And Sykas, T. “Foreign migrants and Greek rural regions: a mutually beneficial relationship”. In Kasimis, C. and A.G. Papadopoulos (Eds). Employment and inclusion of migrants in local societies, Alexandria, Athens, 214-252.
- (2009) Kalogeresis Α. and Labrianidis L. “De-localisation”. In R. Kitchin and N. Thrift (Eds). International Encyclopaedia of Human Geography, Oxford: Elsevier.
- 2008. Labrianidis L.,“Introduction” in Labrianidis L.(ed.). The Moving Frontier: The Changing Geography of Production in Labour Intensive Industries, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp 1-19.
- 2008. Labrianidis L. “Conclusions”. Ιn Labrianidis L. (ed.).The moving frontier: the changing geography of production in labour intensive industries. Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 319-330.
- 2008. Kalogeresis Α. and Labrianidis L. “Geographies of Delocalisation and Development in Europe: Conceptual issues and empirical findings”. In Labrianidis L. (ed.) The Moving Frontier: The Changing Geography of Production in Labour Intensive Industries, Aldershot: Ashgate , pp.23-58.
- 2008. Labrianidis L. and Hatziprokopiou, P. “Migration and Social Change in Thessaloniki”. In Kafkalas, G., L. Labrianidis and Papamichos, N. (Eds). Thessaloniki on the Verge: The City in a Process of Change. Athens: Kritiki, pp. 217-294.
- 2008. Labrianidis L. “The course of the city’s economic development since the ‘80s: why haven’t opportunities been exploited efficiently?”. In Kafkalas, G., L. Labrianidis and Papamichos, N. (Eds). Thessaloniki on the Verge: The City in a Process of Change. Athens: Kritiki, pp.295-360.
10. 2007. Labrianidis L. “Delocalisation of labour intensive industries in a globalised economy”, In: Caloghirou Y., Ioannidis S., Papayannakis L. (eds) Greek Manufacturing: Towards a knowledge intensive economy, Proceedings of a Conference organized by the Technical Chamber of Greece, Athens, 3-5 July 2006
11. 2007. Kalogerressis T., Labrianidis L. “Delocalisation of labour intensive activities in a globalised world: can things become better for the countries of Southeast Europe?”. In P. Getimis and G. Kafkalas (Eds) Overcoming fragmentation in Southeast Europe, Aldershot/ London: Ashgate, pp. 101-126.
12. 2006. Labrianidis L. “Human capital as the critical factor for the development of Europe’s rural peripheral areas”. In Morgan E., Nijkamp, Vaz T. (eds.) The new European rurality, London: Ashgate, pp. 41-59.
13. 2005. Labrianidis L. and Hatziprokopiou P. “Albanian return migration: migrants tend to return to their country of origin after all”. In N. Mai, R. King, S. Schwandner- Sievers (Eds.) The new Albanian migration, Brighton: Sussex Academic Press, pp. 93-117.
14. 2004. Labrianidis L., Α. Liberaki, “The geography of migration” In: Η. Efthimiopoulos and M. Modinos (ed.) The nature of Geography, Inter-scientific Institute of Environmental Research, Athens, pp. 285-320.
15. 2004. Labrianidis L., “Spatial development and restructuring of rural space in Greece”, In: G. Kafkalas (ed.) Spatial development: Theory–trend – policies. Athens: Kritiki, pp. 107 –132.
16. 2004. Labrianidis L. "Local Products as a Means of Assisting the Development of Less Developed European Rural Areas", In: Iosifidis, T., Kizos, A., Spilanis, G. (eds) Development strategies in less developed areas, Athens: Gutenberg.
17. 2004. Labrianidis L., “Introduction” in Labrianidis L. (ed). The future of Europe’s rural peripheries, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 1-29.
18. 2004. Kalogeressis T., Labrianidis L., Skordili S. “Entrepreneurship in rural Greece: Kilkis and Lesvos”. In Labrianidis L. (ed). The future of Europe’s rural peripheries, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 223- 246.
19. 2004. Kalogeressis T., Kourtesis A., Labrianidis L., Skordili S. “Technology, peripherality and rurality”. In Labrianidis L. (ed). The future of Europe’s rural peripheries, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 114- 136.
20. 2003. Labrianidis L., "Location of Labour Intensive Enterprises in a Globalised Economy", (With Lyberaki, A.) in Getimis, P. and Kafkalas, G. (Eds.) Space and Environment: Globalisation, Governance and Sustainability, Athens: Ziti, pp. 47-64
21. 2003. Labrianidis L., “Political protection and metropolitan governance»” (Cooperation with Delladetsimas P.), in: P. Getimis and G. Kafkalas (ed.) Metropolitan governance, Athens: Ziti, pp. 251-277
22. 2003. Labrianidis L. “Delocalisation of labour intensive industries: an argument for ‘triangular manufacturing’ between developed countries-Greece-Balkans”. In P. Liargovas and G. Petrakos (eds.) Regional development and cross-border cooperation in Southern Europe, Volos: SEED Centre University of Thessaly, pp. 213-238.
23. 2002. Labrianidis L., “Halkidiki in the 20th century” (with L. Papayannakis). In: S. Papadopoulos (ed.) Halkidiki. Evagelismou Ormylias Monastery, Athens, pp. 233-252.
24. 2001. Labrianidis L., “Geographical proximity matters in the orientation of F.D.I.: The case of Greek F.D.I. in the Balkans”. In: G. Petrakos and S. Totev (eds.) The development of the Balkan region, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp. 463- 489.
25. 2000. Labrianidis L., “The investment activity of Greek companies in the CEE Countries: The situation beyond the myth”. In Andrikopoulou E. and Kafkalas G. (eds.) Greece and the new European Space: the enlargement and the new geography of European Development. Athens: Themelio, pp. 236-274.
26. 2000. Labrianidis L., “The restructuring of the Balkans and the role of Greece: a critical approach”. In Petrakos G. (ed.) (2000) The development of the Balkans, Panepistimiakes Ekdoseis Thessalias- Gutenberg, 371-396
27. 2000. Labrianidis L., “Are Greek companies that invest in the Balkans in the ‘90s Transnational Companies?” In A. Mitsos and E. Mossialos (Eds.) Contemporary Greece and Europe, European Institute LSE European Political Economy Series, London: Ashgate Press, pp. 457-482.
28. 2000. Deffner A., Labrianidis L., “European cities of culture: impacts in economy, culture and theory”. In Delladetsimas P., Hastaoglou V., Hatzimihalis C., Mantouvalou M., Vaiou D. (eds). Towards a radical cultural agenda for European cities and regions, Thessaloniki: Kyriakidis, pp. 23-58.
29. 1999. Labrianidis L. “Expulsion and Return of Industrial Production in Athens of 2000 (with Vaiou D., Golemis X., Hadjimichalis K. and Chronaki Z.). In Petrakos G. and Ekonomou D. (eds.) The development of Greek cities: Interdisciplinary approaches of urban analysis and policy. Athens: Papazisi.
30. 1994. Labrianidis L., The development of Thrace. Challenges and prospects (with Papayannakis L., Vasenhoven L., Lolos S., Notaras G., Sinanoglou V. and Zonzilos N.) Athens: Academy of Athens.
31. 1993. Labrianidis L., "Restructuring of the production process through subcontracting relations". In: G. Liodakis (ed.) Society, technology and restructuring of production", Athens: Papazisis, pp. 286-299.
32. 1992. Labrianidis L., "Crisis of the industrial location theory". In: C. Hadjimichalis (ed.). Regional development and policy. Athens: Exantas, pp. 88-102.
33. 1986. Labrianidis L. "Industrial location-product of multiple factors". In F.E.I. Hamilton (ed.) Industrialisation in developing and peripheral regions, Croom Helm, pp. 232-265.
4.c Journal papers
- 2011. Labrianidis L., Kalantaridis C. and Dunford M., “Delocalisation of Economic Activity: agents, places and industries”, Regional Studies, Special Issue, 45(2): 147-151
- 2006. Labrianidis L. “Fostering entrepreneurship as a means to overcome barriers to development of peripheral areas in Europe”, Special issue of the Journal of European Planning Studies, vol. 14(1), pp. 3-8.
1. 2019 Labrianidis L., Sachini E. and Karampekios N, Establishing a Greek diaspora Knowledge network through “Knowledge and partnership bridges” Science & Diplomacy, May.
2. 2019 Kalogeressis Th. & Labrianidis L. “De-Localization”, International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, edited by Audrey Kobayashi Oxford: Elsevier
3. 2017 Pratsinakis M., Hatziprokopiou P. Labrianidis L., Vogiatzis, N. Living together in multi-ethnic cities: People of migrant background, their interethnic friendships and the neighbourhood, Urban Studies 54 (1) pp 102-118
4. 2017 Labrianidis L. and Sykas T. Why high school students aspire to emigrate: Evidence from Greece, Journal of International Migration and Integration 18 (1), pp 107–130
5. 2016 Labrianidis L. and Pratsinakis M. “Greece’s new Emigration at times of Crisis” GreeSE Paper No.99 LSE
6. 2014 Labrianidis L. Investing in leaving: The Greek case of international migration of professionals, Mobilities 9(2), 314-335
- The mutually reinforcing relation between international migration of highly-educated labour force and economic crisis: The case of Greece, South East European and Black Sea Studies, 13(4), 525-551
- 2013 Labrianidis L. and Sykas T. “Social Construction of Community and Immigration Networks in Rural Areas: Towards a Dynamic View of Their Importance to Balkan Immigrants”, Sociologia Ruralis 53(1), pp. 1-25
- 2013 Labrianidis L. and Vogiatzis N. “Highly Skilled Migration: What Differentiates the ‘Brains’ Who Are Drained from Those Who Return in the Case of Greece?”, Population, Space and Place 19 (5), 472-486
- 2012 Smith, A., Coe, N., Baylina, M., Labrianidis, L. Editorial, European Urban and Regional Studies 19 (1) , pp. 3-5
- 2011. J. Tzanopoulos, A.S. Kallimanis, I. Bella, A. Togridou, L. Labrianidis, S. Sgardelis, J. Pantis “Agricultural decline and sustainable development on mountain areas in Greece: sustainability assessment of future scenarios”, Land Use Policy, 28(3), pp. 585-593.
- 2011. Labrianidis L. Sykas T. “Immigrants’ employment strategies and their economic welfare: The Case of the Greek Countryside”, Journal of Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, 11(2), pp. 133-153
- 2011. Labrianidis L., Vogiatzis N. “Local Delocalization across the borders: The case of the garment quasi-cluster in the Balkans", Journal of Borderland Studies, 26(1),pp.35-51.
- 2011. Labrianidis L. “How the lack of a “growth coalition” in a city leads to missed opportunities: Thessaloniki’s slow development path since the 90s”, Antipode, 43(5), pp. 1801-1827.
- 2010. Kalogeresis, A. and Labrianidis, L., "From spectator to walk-on to actor: An exploratory study of the internationalisation of Greek firms since 1989”, The European Journal of Comparative Economics, vol. 7(1), pp. 121-143.
- 2010. Labrianidis L. “The Greek university stranded in the policy establishing regional universities”, European Planning Studies, 18(12), pp. 2009-2026.
- 2010. Labrianidis L. and Hatziprokopiou P. “Migrant entrepreneurship in Greece: diversity of pathways for emerging ethnic business communities in Thessaloniki”, International Migration and Integration, 11(2), pp. 193-217.
- 2010. Kalogeresis, A. and Labrianidis, L., "Delocalization and Development: Empirical findings from Selected European Countries", Competition and Change, 14(2), pp.100-23.
- 2009. Labrianidis L. Sykas T. “Preconditions for the economic mobility of immigrants working in the countryside: The case of Greece”, International Journal of Social Economics, 36(8), pp. 798-812.
- 2009. Labrianidis L. and Sykas T., “Migrants, economic mobility and socio-economic change in rural areas”, European Urban and Regional Studies 16(3), pp. 237-256.
- 2009. Labrianidis L. and Sykas T. “Geographical proximity and immigrant labor in agriculture: The case of Albanian immigrants in the Greek countryside” Sociologia Ruralis, 49(4), pp. 394-414.
- 2007. Labrianidis L. “La relation ambiguë de la Grèce avec les Balkans: Afflux d’immigrés en Grèce et ‘fuite’ des entreprises à haute intensité de main-d’œuvre, les deux visages de Janus”, Mesogeios, vol. 32-33.
- 2007. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L., Vassilev I., “Entrepreneurship and institutional change in Post-Socialist rural areas: some evidence from Russia and the Ukraine”, Journal of East European Management Studies, vol. 12 (1), pp.9-34.
- 2006. Labrianidis L., Kalogeressis T. “The digital divide in Europe’s rural enterprises”, European Planning Studies, vol. 14(1), pp.23-39.
- 2006. Labrianidis L. “Fostering entrepreneurship as a means to overcome barriers to development of rural peripheral areas in Europe”, European Planning Studies, vol. 14(1), pp. 3-8.
- 2006. Kazazi, B., Labrianidis L. “Albanian return-migrants from Greece and Italy: their impacts upon spatial disparities within”, European Urban and Regional Studies, vol. 13(1), pp. 59-74.
- 2006. Deffner A., Labrianidis L. “Planning culture and time in a mega-event: Thessaloniki as the European City of Culture in 1997”, International Planning Studies, vol. 10(3-4), pp. 241-264.
- 2004. Labrianidis L., Bella, I. “In-migration as a development factor for rural areas», Topos v. 23-24, pp. 135-154.
- 2004. Labrianidis L., Lyberaki A., Tinios P. and Hatziprokopiou P. “Inflow of migrants and outflow of FDI: Aspects of interdependence between Greece and the Balkans”, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, vol. 30(6), pp. 1183-1208.
- 2004. Labrianidis L., Lyberaki A. “Back and forth and in-between: Albanian return-migrants from Greece and Italy”, Journal of International Migration and Integration, vol. 5(1), pp. 77-106.
- 2004. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L., “The delocalisation of production in labour intensive industries: Instances of triangular manufacturing between Germany, Greece and FYROM”, European Planning Studies, vol. 12(8), pp.1157-1173.
2004. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L. “Rural entrepreneurs in Russia and the Ukraine: origins, motivations and institutional change”, Journal of Economic Issues, vol.XXXVIII(3), pp. 659-681
29.reprinted in The ICFAI Journal οf Entrepreneurship Development.
- 2003. Labrianidis L., “Return migration and economic development: the case of Albanian migrants that they return from Greece and Italy” (with P. Hatziprokopiou) Topos vol. 20-21, pp. 77-97.
- 2003. Labrianidis L. “Local products as a means to facilitate the development of Europe’s rural periphery”, Aeixoros, 2(1), pp. 6-35.
- 2003. Kazazi B., Labrianidis L. “Emigrantet shqiptare ne Selanik: Imazhi ikrijuar dhe realiteti”, Ekonomia dhe Biznesi, vol.9, Universiteti i Tiranes, Fakulteti Ekonomik.
- 2002. Labrianidis L. "Findings on Employment from fieldwork in the Prefecture of Thessaloniki" (with Rylmon, P.), Ergasia (A publication of the Institute of Urban Environment and Human Resources - Panteion Univerity of Athens pp. 221-246)
- 2001. Labrianidis L., “European Cultural Capital: Thessaloniki 1997”, Social Science Tribune vol. 31, pp. 65-98.
- 2001. Labrianidis L. “Internal frontiers” as a hindrance to development”, European Planning Studies, vol. 9(1), pp. 85-103.
- 2001. Karagianni S., Labrianidis L. “The pros and cons of SMEs going international: Greek companies in Bulgaria”, Eastern European Economics, vol. 39(2), pp. 5-28.
- 2000. Labrianidis L., “The internationalisation of SMEs from countries of intermediate development”, (with C. Kalantaridis), Social Science Tribune, vol. 28, pp. 89-110
- 1999. Labrianidis L. “The impact of the Greek military surveillance zone on the Greek side of the Bulgarian - Greek borderlands”, International Boundaries Research Unit, Boundary and Security Bulletin, vol. 7(2), pp 82-93.
- 1999. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L. ‘Family production and the global market: Rural industrial growth in Greece’, Sociologia Ruralis, vol. 39(2) pp. 146-164.
- 1999. Deffner A., Labrianidis L. “The development of planning education and its relation to the belated start of Geography teaching in Greek Universities”, European Planning Studies, vol. 7(2), pp. 243-253.
- 1998. Labrianidis L., ”The establishment of a Border Free Industrial Zone in Thrace“, Agora Choris Synora 3(4), 265-280
- 1998. Labrianidis L., “The presence of Greek firms in the CEE’s. Peculiarities and consequences”, (with Karagianni and I. Katsikas), Social Science Tribune, vol. 24, 87- 122 (in Greek).
- 1998. Labrianidis L., Piasecki B., Smallbone D., Todorov K., Venesaar U. “Internationalisation and SME development in transition economies”, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, vol. 5(4), pp. 363-375.
- 1998. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L. “Internationalisation and entrepreneurial responses οn the European periphery: the experience of North Eastern Greece”, The Journal of Entrepreneurship, vol. 7(1), pp. 1-26.
- 1997. Labrianidis L., “Local development and restrictive regulations: the case of the Surveillance Zone in the Pomak villages in Xanthi”, Topos vol. 13, 17-46
- 1997. Labrianidis L., “The opening of the Greek companies to the Balkan markets might have important negative consequences in the development of the country’, The Hellenic Review of Political Sciences, vol. 9, pp. 65-101.
- 1997. Labrianidis L.. «Subcontracting relations in the Greek industry and the Balkans”, Agora choris synora, 2(3), pp. 193-211.
- 1997. Labrianidis L., “Convergence of the per capita income in the Prefectures of Greece” (with Siriopoulos C. and Asteriou D.), Topos vol. 13, 63-76
- 1997. Kalantaridis C., Labrianidis L. “Globalisation and local industrial development in the European periphery: Enterprise strategies in Eastern Macedonia and Thrace”, European Planning Studies, vol. 5(4), pp. 477-494.
- 1996. Labrianidis L. “Some thoughts on the industrial policy in view of the opening of the Greek companies in the Balkans”, Tetradia INE, 6-7, pp. 75-85.
- 1996. Labrianidis L., “The teaching of Geography in Greek Universities”, Social Science Tribune vol. E ( 20 ) pp. 195-233.
- 1996. Labrianidis L. “The opening of the Balkan markets and consequent economic problems in Greece”, Modern Greek Studies, vol. 12/13, pp. 211-235.
- 1996. Labrianidis L. “Subcontracting in Greek manufacturing and the opening of the Balkan markets”, Cyprus Journal of Economics, vol. 9(1), pp. 29-45.
- 1995. Labrianidis L., “The recent economic history of Halkidiki”, (with L. Papayannakis), Topos vol. 10, pp. 309-312.
- 1995. Labrianidis L. “Εstablishing Universities as a policy for local economic development: an assessment of the direct economic impact-Three Greek Universities”, Higher Education Policy, vol. 8(2), pp. 55-62.
- 1995. Labrianidis L. “Neue Universitaten in Griecheland als Mittel der Regionalpolitik”, Raumforschung und Raumordnung, vol. 4(53), pp. 309-312.
- 1995. Labrianidis L. “Flexibility in production through subcontracting: the case of the poultry meat industry in Greece”, Environment and Planning A' (Urban & Regional Research), vol. 27, pp. 193-203.
- 1994. Labrianidis L. «Some thoughts on the new industrial policy”, Topos,8, pp.353-370.
- 1993. Labrianidis L., "Establishment of peripheral universities in Greece", Topos vol. 6, pp. 111-139.
- 1993. Labrianidis L., "Subcontracting relations in manufacturing and their impact on urban growth", (with Vaiou D., Hadjimichalis C. and Chronaki Z.), Social Science Tribune, vol. 11, pp 73-105.
- 1993. Labrianidis L., "Diffused industrialisation in Thessaloniki. From expansion to crisis", (with Vaiou D., Hadjimichalis C. and Chronaki Z.), International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, vol. 17(2), pp. 178-194.
- 1991. Labrianidis L., "How persuasive a quantitative analysis of subcontracting can be", Annals of Political Economy, vol. 9, pp. 115-139.
- 1991. Labrianidis L. “Diffused industrialisation in Thessaloniki”, (with Vaiou D., Hadjimichalis C. and Chronaki Z.), Sychrona Themata, 45, pp. 70-79.
- 1990. Labrianidis L., Ρapamichos Ν. “Regional distribution of industry and the role of the state in Greece”, Εnvironment and Ρlanning C’ (Government and Policy), vol. 8(4), σσ. 455-76.
- 1989. Labrianidis L., "The consequences of incentives on the regional development of Greek industry" (with N. Kalogirou and St. Karagianni), Greek Review of Social Research, vol. 73, pp. 39-77.
- 1989. Labrianidis L., "Regional development incentives for industry: a critical review", Technika Chronika, vol. 9(2), pp. 227-256.
- 1988. Labrianidis L., "Problems in the industrialisation of an agricultural area", Greek Review of Agrarian Studies, vol. 2(4), pp. 136-166.
- 1987. Labrianidis L. “Restructuring the Greek tobacco industry”, Αntipode, vol. 19 (2), σσ. 134-153.
- 1985. Labrianidis L., "Space and society: industrial location in capitalist social formations", Technika Chronika, vol. 5(4), pp. 113- 140.
- 1983, Labrianidis L., "Distribution of tobacco manufacturing and trading industry in Greece: a process of increasing concentration", City and Region, vol. 7, pp. 11-40.
5. RESEARCH PROJECTS
5.a.1 Scientific coordinator
- 2012-2015. Human Capabilities as a Basic Component of Development Dynamics and Differentiation of The Regions: The Case of Greece (HIDDEN), Research Project under the Operational Programme "Education and Life-Long Learning" by the Greek Ministry of Education (budget: 600,000 Euros)
- 2004 - 2006. The moving frontier: the changing geography of production in labour intensive industries Financed by European Commission 6th Framework programme, (priority 7 citizens and governance in a knowledge based society
- 2001- 2002. Research of the Albanian Labour Market: Identification of gaps in supply and demand of Labour and policy directions for the reintroduction of return-migrants». Financed by the Hellenic Manpower Organisation
- 2000—2002. The future of Europe’s Rural Periphery: the role of entrepreneurship in responding to employment problems and social marginalisation”. Financed by European Commission 5th Framework programme) http://afroditi.uom.gr/ferp/
- 2000—2002. Rural entrepreneurship and employment in Transition (Russia, Ukraine). Financed by INTAS http://afroditi.uom.gr/ruret/
- 2000—2001. Study on the orientation of interventions with regard to employment in the manufacturing and service sectors in the prefecture of Thessaloniki. Financed by the Greek Ministry of Development.
- 2000. Greek Investments in Bulgaria (with Kalogeresis T.) Financed by DIPEK.
- 2000. The role of emigrants from the CEEs in the economy of Thessaloniki. Financed by European Commission (INTEMIGRA) / Region of Central Macedonia.
- 2000. Statistical data on the Albanian emigrants in Thessaloniki. Financed by European Commission (INTEMIGRA) / Region of Central Macedonia.
- 1999-2000. A comparative Analysis of economic conditions in the Christian compared to the Pomacks – muslim communities of mountainous areas of Rodopi and Xanthi. Financed by the University of Macedonia.
- 1998-1999. Strategic Plan for the development of the Prefecture of Rodopi. Finaced by the Development Enterprise of the Prefecture of Rodopi.
- 1997-98. Ex post evaluation of the anticipated economic implications from the Cultural City of Thessaloniki 1997 Financed by European Cultural City Thessaloniki ’97
- 1997. The Greek industry and developments in Central and Eastern Europe: potentials and challenges. Financed by the Ministry of Industry.
- 1996-98. The economic implications for the development of Greece and Northern Greece in particular, due to the opening of the Greek industry to the Balkans Financed by the General Secretary of Research and Technology.
- 1996. Textile and garment industry in the Prefectures of Drama, Kavala and Xanthi. Financed by the Ministry of Industry
5.a.2 Member of Research teams
- 2008. M. L. Fonseca FLUL (Scientific co-ordinator) Generating Interethnic Tolerance and Neighbourhood Integration in European Urban Space (GEITONIES). Seventh Framework Programme of the European Community for Research, Technological Development and Demonstration Activities
- 2006. Smallbone D. (Co-ordinator), Challenges and Prospects of Cross Border Co-operation in the Context of EU Enlargement (CBCED), Sixth Framework Programme. Priority 7: Citizens and Governance in a Knowledge Based Society. www.crossbordercoop.net
- 2006. Region Apulia (Scientific co-ordinator) News people’s relations in Eastern Mediterranean (PEOPLES), INTERREG III B ARCHIMED
- 2006. Important structural changes in entrepreneurship conditions in Greece and the impacts on employees’ positions and sepcialisations, Financed by the Ministry of Development.
- 2004. Technological perspective research into Central Macedonia: Economic Space of Southern-East Europe, Scientific Coordinator Kafkalas Gr. Research commission Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki.
- 2004. Gender, house-work and national identity: Intercultural composition of house space in Greece, Scientific Coordinator Papataxiarchis Α. Pithagoras, Ministry of Education
- 2002-2005 Mitchley J. (Co-ordinator), Scenarios for reconciling biodiversity conservation with declining agricultural use in the mountains of Europe (BIOSCENE- http://www.bioscene.co.uk/), ΕU Shared Cost RTD, EVK2-2001-00354, EESD-ESD-3, EESD-2000-2.3.2
- 1998-99 European Space and Territorial Integration Alternatives. Spatial Development strategies and policy integration for the South East Europe Scientific Coordinator Kafkalas Gr. Financed by Ministry of Spatial Planning Housing and Environment
- 1998-2000 Studies on young entrepreneurs, women entrepreneurs, co-entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs from ethnic minorities in the EU. Financed by European Commission DGXXVI
- 1998-2000 Evaluation of the impact of European policies on the Aegean islands. Ministry of the Aegean (in Greek).
- 1997. Informal forms of manufacturing production and urban space in the Greater Area of Athens. Financed by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology
- 1996-98. Spatial consequences of European Policies. Financed by the Greek Ministry of Environment.
- 1996-98. Internationalisation, inter-firm linkages and SME development in central and eastern Europe. Financed by E.U. -Phare ACE 1995.
- Financed by EU., pp. 534 volumesι 4
- 1995. Research on development of agrotourism into mountainous communities of Peonia County. Scientific coordinator Iakovidou O. Financed by EEC-Interreg I.
5.b.1 Scientific co-ordinator
- 2001-2002. Labour force survey in Albania, (cooperation with the Albanian Centre for Economic and Social Studies). Financed by the Greek Manpower Employment Organisation.
- 2000-2001. Survey for the orientation of interventions related with the employment in manufacturing and services in Thessaloniki, Financed by Ministry of Development.
3. 1999-2000. Strategic planning of regional and cross-border transit centres in Western Macedonia, Financed by the Prefecture of Western Macedonia.
- 1997-99. Evaluation of Community Support Framework for Western Macedonia. Financed by EU/Ministry of National Economy, pp. 359
- 1994. Investigation of investment opportunities in Southern Albania. Financed by EEC, INTERREG I Prefecture of Kastoria, pp. 120.
5.b.2 Team member
- 2002. Metropolitan Governance in the Greater Area of Thessaloniki, Scientific Coordinator Kafkalas G., Financed by Ministry of internal affairs.
- 2000—2002. Action Plan for a Strategic Development Plan for Thessaloniki. Financed by the Ministry of Spatial Planning Housing and Environment. http://estia.arch.auth.gr/thessaloniki/strategic-plan/index.htm
- 1994. Strategic Plan for the development of the prefecture of Pella. Financed by the Prefecture.
- 1994. Poverty III Local development strategies in economically disintegrated areas, EEC. Financed by the European Communities.
- 1994. Management of space and protection of the environment from the concentration of industry in sea front areas. Financed by the Greek Ministry of Spatial Planning Housing and Environment.
- 1994. Investigation of investment opportunities in southern Albania. Financed by EEC - INTERREG I - Prefecture of Kastoria.
- 1993. Working conditions of SMEs in the border area of Northern Greece. Financed by the Commission of the EEC, DG XXIII.
- 1993. The implications of the film festival in the city of Drama. Financed by EEC/ Euroform Prefecture of Drama.
- 1993. Strategic Plan for the development of the prefecture of Kilkis. Financed by the Prefecture of Kilkis.
- 1993. Plan for tourist development of mountainous areas of the province of Paionia, prefecture of Kilkis. Financed by EEC - INTERREG I.
- 1993. Local development plan of Southern Pieria. Financed by EEC- Development Federation of Pieria.
- 1993. Investigation of the spatial structure and the investment opportunities of the area of Loutra Loutrakiou in the Prefecture of Pella. Financed by the Industrial Development Bank of Greece.
- 1993. Industrial development incentives in Albania. Financed by Athens University.
- 1993. Development Plan of the municipality of Edessa. Financed by Municipality pp. 896.
- 1992. INTERREG I, Prefectures of Central and Western Macedonia. Financed by the European Communities.
- 1987. Report on Thessaloniki for the five-year plan for the economic and social development of Greece 1988-1992. Prefecture of Thessaloniki.
- 1987. Preliminary report on the five year plan for economic and social development of the region of Central Macedonia. Prefecture of Thessaloniki.
- 1986. Feasibility study of a development program for the Province of Langada of the Prefecture of Thessaloniki. Prefecture of Thessaloniki.
6. MEMBER OF EDITORIAL COMMITTEES
- 2012- 2016 member of the International Advisory Board of Journal of Immigrant and Refugee Studies
- 2008-2013 Member of the Editorial Board in European Urban and Regional Studies
- 2001-today. Editorial Advisor in Geographies
- 1999-today. Member of the Editorial Committee in Topos (Review of spatial development, planning and environment)
- Member of the Editorial Committee in Panepistimio
- 1990-98. Editorial Advisor in Topos (Review of urban and regional planning).
- 1988-97. Associate/Corresponding Editor in Capital and Class (Journal of the Conference of Socialist Εconomists).